Re: To 64 or Not to 64?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:27:31PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Should I go to a 64-bit kernel? Benefits vs. Risks?
> Will 64bit enable kvm functionality on this box?

I've made these arguements on this list here before:

In terms of enabling hardware virtualization, check the flags in
/proc/cpuinfo.

% egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

> Will this work with existing packages which could then be changed to 64 bit
> piecemeal or if taking the plunge, must/should redo everything?

If you make the move to 64-bit, then you will need to reinstall your
operating system, and pull the packages from the amd64 repository.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o