Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

On 02/23/2011 03:11 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
1. Screen from console is not cleared as root or regular user once you log out.

You're allowed to create /etc/bash.bash_logout which does:
if [ "$SHLVL" = 1 ]; then
    [ -x /usr/bin/clear_console ] && /usr/bin/clear_console -q
fi

2. Users home directories get created with 755 permissions. Anyone can
access your home directory and files.

3. Debian installer defaults to creating user group names

That's been standard for a decade+.

                                                          which is just a mess.

Says who?

Obviously these are not critical issues but in my opinion extremely
annoying and pointless. Does anyone know why Debian developers choose
these behaviors for a default Debian system? I just don't understand
the logic.

We're just users. Go ask the Decision Makers (who are the ones which put in the actual time and effort) on debian-devel.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman