Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 06:10:57PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/19/2011 05:32 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
> >>>
> >>I tried with a squeeze live CD and got similar results.  I wasn't able
> >>to check the logs, though, because the whole machine was locked up.  I
> >>did manage to get a rainbow screen and a real mouse pointer.
> >>
> >>I am downloading Knoppix 6.4.4 now.
> >>
> >Same results with Knoppix 6.4.4.  Rainbow striped screen, mouse pointer,
> >and unresponsive system.  I couldn't even ctrl-alt-f1 to get to a
> >terminal.
> >

> Is this a new computer?  (Had something similar happen on my wife's
> new PC.  memtest86+ showed lots of errors, and removing one of the
> DIMMs made everything work properly.)

It's an old computer, but new to me.  I will run memtest86+ tonight.
Thanks for the idea.

For anyone following along, this is a MythTV frontend machine that had
Lenny
installed.  I moved the hard drive into a newer machine (1.7GHz P4), and
upgraded to Squeeze.

-Rob