Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On 02/20/2011 08:34 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:
On my Squeeze system, the nouveau driver isn't working. dmesg shows
GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

lspci shows my video card as this:

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)

I do have an onboard video port that I'm not using. Not sure if
that's
messing things up or not. Any advice? I see several hits on Google,
but I haven't found a solution yet.

I'm trying to make nouveau work. The proprietary nvidia driver
will be
my last resort.

I had that lockup message with a nVidia GeForce 8400 GS. I
blacklisted nouveau and went with the proprietary driver. Neither nv
nor nouveau manage a situation where you have 2 videocards with 2
mice and 2 keyboards for 2 simultaneous users. The proprietary
driver does.

Manually installed, or via nvidia-glx?

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman