Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:10:34PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-02-19 20:34 +0100, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> > On my Squeeze system, the nouveau driver isn't working.  dmesg shows
> >
> > GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon
>
> That's bad indeed.
>
> > lspci shows my video card as this:
> >
> > VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
> >
> > I do have an onboard video port that I'm not using.  Not sure if that's
> > messing things up or not.
>
> It shouldn't.  Does it even show up in lspci?

Yes, it does show up in lspci.  It's an SiS chipset, in case that
matters.

> > Any advice?  I see several hits on Google,
> > but I haven't found a solution yet.
> >
> > I'm trying to make nouveau work.
>
> There's not much hope if you intend to stay with Squeeze.  If you're not
> brave enough to blindly upgrade your kernel and the whole X stack to
> sid, I would recommend trying a Live CD like Knoppix 6.4 or Grml 10.12
> first.  Both come with kernel 2.6.36 and a newer nouveau snapshot from
> August 2010.

I tried with a squeeze live CD and got similar results.  I wasn't able
to check the logs, though, because the whole machine was locked up.  I
did manage to get a rainbow screen and a real mouse pointer.

I am downloading Knoppix 6.4.4 now.

> > The proprietary nvidia driver will be my last resort.
>
> IMO this is the least of the evils, at least if you insist on sticking
> with Squeeze on that machine.

This is probably what I'll end up doing.  Thanks for the quick

-Rob