Going remote - some advice please

Dear all

My wife and I are looking to go volunteering for at least the next six months and will be 95% off-grid. We want to remain connected to the Net and continue to have access to a computer, and Debian will be our system of choice.

We live in the UK and believe that a "dongle" will enable us to maintain connectivity, assuming the network provider has the appropriate coverage. Has anyone any experience in this, and if so, please share any recommendations for setting this up properly.

Obviously, we are looking at laptops to provide the computing ability. But we want something that will be durable, with a decent and reliable battery life. We will need some reasonable processing power and decent RAM for basic video editing, writing and statistical analysis. Any advice on the hardware that will facilitate that would be very helpful too.

Finally, does anyone have experience of using PV to power/ recharge the batteries, and if so any recommendations on equipment for that?

Thanks for your ideas, recommendations and stories.

AG