Re: squeeze fails to install

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:01:28 -0600, Neal Hogan wrote:

(...)

> What information do those that know anything about the install of the
> latest "stable" release need to know to fix this issue? There have been
> a few (if not several) other threads dealing with installation of
> squeeze. Was this tested?

Is we (we=users) the ones who have "to test" and report for any issue
(better *before* the distribution gets released, for example, when it
becomes freezed) because once the distribution is out, there is not much
room to make deep changes ;-(

If we (we=users) have neither the time nor available machines where to
try out a full install, there is alwways the LiveCD that is easy and fast
to test.

> Background: I've had Lenny on this particualr machine installing/running
> just fine. I was able to upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze with no problem.
> The fresh install is the problem. My machine is an early 2000's HP
> pavilion (ze4400). Why doesn't the install script partition my hard
> drive?

That's indeed weird because most of the common hard disk controllers are
properly detected nowadays. What does the logs say? (at install time you
can jump to tty4 terminal to get a clue on what is going on).

> As you can see, I'm rather frustrated. I've enjoyed the debian
> experience up to this point. I don't mind working to get things done,
> but my issue seems to be a rather big deal (i.e., squeeze can't install
> on a machine that has worked).

These things happen and for that reason making tests on our side is very
important to prevent such situations and get the problems corrected
before the new release hits the streets.

> I understand that the majorty of folks on this list are not devs, but
> the devs who do subscribe *should* take notice. No?

Nope... unless you fill a bug report which the standarized channel ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón