Re: upgrade using aptitude

Heddle Weaver:
> On 16 February 2011 20:06, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>> Qi Qi:
>>>
>>> I have been using debian unstable. After debian 6.0 released, aptitude
>>> upgrading asks me to remove gnome, gnome-core, and
>>> gnome-desktop-enviroment,etc.
>>
>> I doubt that you are using (safe-)upgrade. You are probably having
>> trouble using full-upgrade which you didn't have if you used a
>> safe-upgrade instead.
>
> With aptitude, upgrading to a new distribution, which is essentially what
> you are doing when moving to a new version of unstable,

What is "a new version of unstable"? AFAICS, there's a new version every
day. And you never know what you get.

> 'aptitude full-upgrade' is appropriate after 'aptitude update'.

Partial NACK. You only need full-upgrades if dependencies require it.
Most of the time, this is unnecessary. And most of the time, a
safe-upgrade is the safest (d'uh) option. The worst thing that can
happen is that you simply don't get any upgrades at all.

With a full-upgrade, on the other hand, you only need to press Enter
once without thinking and have "essential" (not in the Debian sense)
packages removed. This list regularly receives mail from users who did
just that (or wonder how to get around aptitude's wishes).

If you routinely use safe-upgrades and only run full-upgrades if you
have a real need, you minimize the risk of "breaking" the system to a
point at which relatively unexperienced users have trouble recovering.

Sure, a full-upgrade is never "wrong" if you watch what aptitude is
about to do and take appropriate action. But making a habit of doing
full-upgrades only when you actually need them may prevent damage to
your system.

Additionally, shortly after a release it is the easiest option to stay
up-to-date without being troubled by larger transitions and broken or
unsatisfiable dependencies.

> Follow this with 'aptitude autoclean'.

I prefer the following in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90local:

APT {
        // settings for cron.daily/apt
        // see: /etc/cron.daily/apt
        Periodic {
                Update-Package-Lists "1";
                Download-Upgradeable-Packages "1";
                AutocleanInterval "1";
                MinAge "3";
                MaxAge "7";
                MaxSize "1024";
        }
}

That keeps the cache from growing endlessly without any manual
intervention.

> I should also recommend installing the package: 'aptitude-doc-(insert
> appropriate language code here)' which you will be able to find through the
> aptitude interface and read it!

ACK! The search patterns are really great, probably aptitude's best
advantage over apt-get.

J.
--
In idle moments I remember former lovers with sentimental tenderness.
[Agree]   [Disagree]