Re: upgrade using aptitude

On 16 February 2011 20:06, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
Qi Qi:

> I have been using debian unstable. After debian 6.0 released, aptitude
> upgrading asks me to remove gnome, gnome-core, and
> gnome-desktop-enviroment,etc.

I doubt that you are using (safe-)upgrade. You are probably having
trouble using full-upgrade which you didn't have if you used a
safe-upgrade instead.

<large snip>

With aptitude, upgrading to a new distribution, which is essentially what you are doing when moving to a new version of unstable, 'aptitude full-upgrade' is appropriate after 'aptitude update'.

Follow this with 'aptitude autoclean'.

Any incremental updates after that, 'aptitude safe-upgrade' is appropriate.

Doing it this way, no problems should be experienced.
I certainly haven't had any.

Aptitude may object to removing something because of dependency problems, but then install the new version of  that package which will resolve those issues.
But, from what you are saying, you haven't been issuing the correct commands and this is what has created the situation.
By doing it now, you may very well still resolve the situation satisfactorily.
I should also recommend installing the package: 'aptitude-doc-(insert appropriate language code here)' which you will be able to find through the aptitude interface and read it!

I should also recommend installing another package called 'deborphan' which will help to clean up the mess.

With unstable, it would be smart thinking to also install 'apt-listbugs', and reading the messages it outputs at the end of aptitude update before you install anything.
Regards,

Weaver.
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.