Re: Moderation robot problem - can't post from Thunderbird

On 16/02/11 17:10, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
On Qua, 16 Fev 2011, Russell Gadd wrote:
Thanks for the response. I didn't know I was using a gateway. All I
know is that I signed up to Usenet-News.net to be able to access
newsgroups and I can download these without problem in Icedove. I
signed up via my gmail email service. If I post by sending an email
using the web interface of gmail to debian-user@lists.debian.org (such
as this message I am now writing) it gets into the newsgroup. If I use
the Icedove interface I get this response from a moderation robot. I
have no idea who "http://lists.bofh.it/listinfo/linux-gate"; is and how
I get routed through them.

debian-user is a mailing list, not a usenet newsgroup. One sends
messages o the list's email address, and everybody that is subscribed
receives the messages in their email addresses.

To where do you send emails that return?

There are some gateway services that allows reading via nntp (that is,
as if it were a newsgroup). They generally need some special steps for
posting, however. Going to the page
http://lists.bofh.it/listinfo/linux-gate, it states that "After
subscribing to this mailing list you will be able to post articles to
the linux.* hierarchy moderated newsgroups." So it seems if you
subscribe to that list you'll be able to post to debian-user.

Icedove sends messages out via my ISP's SMTP server - maybe it's they
who are routing it through this gateway. I'll try changing the
outgoing server to google's SMTP if I can, before I post this and see
if that works. If it does I'll post again.

I don't think that will help. But posting directly to debian-user, or
subscribing to that list probably will.

Altering the outgoing SMTP worked, as you can see since you replied to the message I sent via Icedove. I didn't want to use the linux-gate route as it seemed that this way I would have to sign up for multiple accounts for different groups. And in any case I didn't know anything about them which makes me a little uneasy.

The difference between a mailing list and a usenet newsgroup seems to be irrelevant in this context since both types are available from the Usenet-News.net service and I can now reply to messages in either. It seems there aren't any special steps to posting if I use the googlemail SMTP.

Thanks for your efforts, your responses have helped me to understand more about this.