Re: Moderation robot problem - can't post from Thunderbird

On Qua, 16 Fev 2011, Russell Gadd wrote:
Thanks for the response. I didn't know I was using a gateway. All I know is that I signed up to Usenet-News.net to be able to access newsgroups and I can download these without problem in Icedove. I signed up via my gmail email service. If I post by sending an email using the web interface of gmail to debian-user@lists.debian.org (such as this message I am now writing) it gets into the newsgroup. If I use the Icedove interface I get this response from a moderation robot. I have no idea who "http://lists.bofh.it/listinfo/linux-gate"; is and how I get routed through them.

debian-user is a mailing list, not a usenet newsgroup. One sends messages o the list's email address, and everybody that is subscribed receives the messages in their email addresses.

To where do you send emails that return?

There are some gateway services that allows reading via nntp (that is, as if it were a newsgroup). They generally need some special steps for posting, however. Going to the page http://lists.bofh.it/listinfo/linux-gate, it states that "After subscribing to this mailing list you will be able to post articles to the linux.* hierarchy moderated newsgroups." So it seems if you subscribe to that list you'll be able to post to debian-user.

Icedove sends messages out via my ISP's SMTP server - maybe it's they who are routing it through this gateway. I'll try changing the outgoing server to google's SMTP if I can, before I post this and see if that works. If it does I'll post again.

I don't think that will help. But posting directly to debian-user, or subscribing to that list probably will.

--

"Whatever the missing mass of the universe is, I hope it's not cockroaches!"
		-- Mom

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br