Re: Trying to Switch from Ubuntu to Debian

On 02/16/2011 01:58 AM, Noah Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 23:55 -0600, Sam Leon wrote:
>>
>> I think it just depends on what you are wanting to accomplish. I left MS
>> because their OS just tries too hard to do everything for me (and tries
>> too hard to take my money). I left ubuntu because their OS tries too
>> hard to do everything for me. I wrote this in 2007 because I got tired
>> of always typing up this same story: http://net153.net/ubuntu_vs_debian.php
>> So in summary I have been very happy using debian-testing for about 4
>> years now. If you go that route, just be careful of any grub, xorg, or
>> mdadm updates :p
>>
>> Stable is looking pretty nice right now. I think for the first time ever
>> I don't feel like I need to run testing in order to get the latest bug
>> fixes, features, or compatibility updates. Everything is just really
>> great in the linux world right now, or at least on my hardware.
>>
>> Sam
>>

> Well, I got one problem solved.  Got the nVidia drivers installed with
> no problem at all!  :)  My next experiment will have to be with
> PulseAudio.  The sound isn't the biggest issue, but I would like to get
> it working properly.
>
> Sam, I went with Stable.  I picked it mostly because I'm newer to Debian
> specifically.  I also like the idea of not having to think about
> upgrading to a new release every 6 months.  If I feel I need the latest
> and greatest of something, I'll just compile it myself.  That's easy
> enough!
>
> Thanks again for being friendly and helpful!
>
> --
> Noah Duffy
> Skype - Noah0504 | Jabber/Google Talk - n.milo.duffy@gmail.com

Well the main reason I use testing is because it is always under
development and hence never has a "release cycle".

I honestly don't know how in the world my sound even works. I don't have
pulseaudio or jack or any other daemons installed:

user@user:~$ dpkg --get-selections |grep -i alsa
gstreamer0.10-alsa                              install
libsdl1.2debian-alsa                            install
libsox-fmt-alsa                                 install
user@user:~$ dpkg --get-selections |grep -i sound
esound-common                                   install
lib32asound2                                    install
libasound2                                      install
user@user:~$

I have the same set up for my desktop (audigy 2 zs) and my laptop (intel integrated sound) and I use kmix for my mixer/controller

Sam