Re: Trying to Switch from Ubuntu to Debian

On 02/16/2011 01:58 AM, Noah Duffy wrote:
[snip]

Well, I got one problem solved.  Got the nVidia drivers installed with
no problem at all!

Using the nvidia-glx appropriate to your card?

                   :)

Excellent...

                      My next experiment will have to be with
PulseAudio.  The sound isn't the biggest issue, but I would like to get
it working properly.

PA on Debian just seems to not always work. I purged it and use straight ALSA.

Sam, I went with Stable.  I picked it mostly because I'm newer to Debian
specifically.  I also like the idea of not having to think about
upgrading to a new release every 6 months.  If I feel I need the latest
and greatest of something, I'll just compile it myself.  That's easy
enough!

You'll change your mind when you get comfortable with Debian but notice that the versions are getting stale but "dependency lock-in" means that building big packages from upstream source doesn't always work as well as planned.

No big deal, though: Sid/Unstable is a darned good home desktop distro.

Thanks again for being friendly and helpful!

<snicker>

Anyhoo, good luck!

I've got my wife/kids' PC running Ubuntu 10.04+ppas because even though I know *how* to configure Debian, I just don't *want* to: while I don't mind fiddling, they expect their PC to Just Work, and too much manual configuration means increased clamor for Windows.

Regarding Unity, I'll eventually switch them to Xbuntu. It's Wayland that really worries me, since NVIDIA has stated they won't support it, and the Evil Blob nvidia driver is just so much better than nouveau.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman