Re: Squeeze install hangs reading CD drive

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:14:40 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:49:57 +0000, I wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to do a fresh netinst of Squeeze on a new desktop, and it's
>> hanging in "Select and install software".  ... it's failing to read the
>> CD.
>
> On 2011-02-14 21:57:24 GMT, Camaleón replied:
>
>> you can try by creating an USB boot disk.
>
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:02:06 +0000, kn@debian.mu wrote
>
>> I had an issue while installing via USB flash drive.
>>
>> I could boot from the usb, select language etc etc, but somewhere when
>> the installer tries to mount the "cd-rom", it failed! The installer
>> doesn't know that I'm installing from a usb.
>
> Same problem here.  I made an 8-GB flash drive bootable as follows:
>
> cat debian-6.0.0-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdc
> sync
>
> It booted, and the install got through the initial language and keymap
> selection.  Then:
>
>   No common CD-ROM was detected.

A "netiso" image should be able to proceed with the installation with no
CD/DVD media (or drive) at all. Just imagine all those netbook with not
DVD drive, wouldn't they be able to install Debian? ;-)

> I could suspect that 6.0.0 just doesn't have a good driver for this new
> CD/DVD writer (Toshiba Samsung DVD Writer Model TS-H663).  However, it
> did get as far as installing >30000 files from the 6.0.0 netinst CD
> before declaring CD read errors.  (I went through that three times with
> two netinst CDs, both checked for md5sums).  So the USB install ought to
> at least detect the drive.
>
> I can think of lots of second-choice options at this point:
>   1. Let the PC collect dust until Squeeze catches up.
>   2. Hope that testing or sid might work.
>   3. Find some old CD/DVD drive that might be supported.
>
> If anyone can think of better options, I'll be grateful.  And do I need
> to file a bug report?

I think this can be an error of the hybrid image. No CD/DVD drive should
be queried with this ISO (even less to stop the installation), unless the
user explicitey asks the installer to search for that path.

I would go for BTS.

In addition, you can try some of the tips Google finds on the web:

http://blog.mybox.ro/2010/04/28/installing-debian-distributions-from-usb-sticks-problems-and-solutions/

But better if this gets reported so it can be solved for all the users :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón