Squeeze install hangs reading CD drive

On 2011-02-14 21:57:24 GMT, Camaleón replied:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:02:06 +0000, kn@debian.mu wrote

> I had an issue while installing via USB flash drive.
>
> I could boot from the usb, select language etc etc, but somewhere when the
> installer tries to mount the "cd-rom", it failed! The installer doesn't know
> that I'm installing from a usb.

Same problem here.  I made an 8-GB flash drive bootable as follows:

cat debian-6.0.0-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdc
sync

It booted, and the install got through the initial language and keymap
selection.  Then:

  No common CD-ROM was detected.

I could suspect that 6.0.0 just doesn't have a good driver for this new
CD/DVD writer (Toshiba Samsung DVD Writer Model TS-H663).  However, it did
get as far as installing >30000 files from the 6.0.0 netinst CD before
declaring CD read errors.  (I went through that three times with two netinst
CDs, both checked for md5sums).  So the USB install ought to at least detect
the drive.

I can think of lots of second-choice options at this point:
  1. Let the PC collect dust until Squeeze catches up.
  2. Hope that testing or sid might work.
  3. Find some old CD/DVD drive that might be supported.

If anyone can think of better options, I'll be grateful.  And do I need to
file a bug report?