Re: sandboxie like application for Debian? [Possible Threadjack]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> On Monday 14 February 2011 11:59:08 Arthur Machlas wrote:
>> > YMMV, I currently only use schroot to run the 32-bit (only) ICAClient for
>> > work.
>>
>> I tried to set up the same client and noticed it needed all kinds of
>> 32bit libraries and was considering my options. Any link or sketched
>> outline about the steps you took to do this?
>
> Install schroot and debootstrap.  Create a new logical volume, probably need
> to be about 2G or so.  Create your favorite file system on that new volume.
> Debootstrap.  Unmount.  Drop a file with something like this:

<snip>

> I'd probably be willing to provide the patch to use /usr/share/ca-certificates
> instead of it's own directory, but the software is proprietary so I can't.
> Replacing /usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts with a symlink to /usr/share/ca-
> certificates/mozilla probably works in most cases, and could be done without
> access to the source, but I couldn't distribute the .deb even if I made such a
> change.
>
> HTH, If that's not detailed enough, I can do a step-by-step with exact
> commands and expected output on my blog tomorrow evening and post a link.

Thanks. That's more than enough to go on. I've just to decide whether
to go this route or just add to a 32bit XP guest OS I've got running
sometimes for Rosetta stone and Excel. The excel is just there for
work, so it makes sense to put the work email icaclient in there too.
Downside is I'd have to grant the VM net access. :(

Thanks for coles notes though! It will make a decision possible now.

Best,
AM