Re: sandboxie like application for Debian? [Possible Threadjack]

On Monday 14 February 2011 11:59:08 Arthur Machlas wrote:
> > YMMV, I currently only use schroot to run the 32-bit (only) ICAClient for
> > work.
>
> I tried to set up the same client and noticed it needed all kinds of
> 32bit libraries and was considering my options. Any link or sketched
> outline about the steps you took to do this?

Install schroot and debootstrap.  Create a new logical volume, probably need
to be about 2G or so.  Create your favorite file system on that new volume.
Debootstrap.  Unmount.  Drop a file with something like this:

--8<----8<--
[ia32]
type=block-device
device=$YOUR_NEW_LV_HERE
mount-options=-o relatime
description=Debian i386
users=root,me
root-groups=root,adm
script-config=desktop/config
personality=linux32
preserve-environment=true
--8<----8<--

Download icaclient.deb into your home directory.  Change into the chroot with
(sudo schroot -c ia32).  Install browser(s) with apt-get/aptitude.  If you
didn't get it already, install ca-certificates with apt-get/aptitude.  Install
icaclient.deb with dpkg -i; probably gonna complain about dependencies.
Install libmotif4 and fix the icaclient with apt-get/aptitude.  (find
/usr/share/ca-certificates -type f -name '*.crt' -exec ln -s {}
/usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts).  Exit the chroot.

To run 32-bit iceweasel that can spawn ICAClient instances:
schroot -c ia32 iceweasel

That's probably not even the best way to do it, but I think it is way better
than the guides that have you manually extracting 32-bit libraries and copying
them into place.  With my setup, *almost* everything is still tracked by the
package manager.  The exception is the ca-certificates, but that's due to the
package being brain-damaged.

I'd probably be willing to provide the patch to use /usr/share/ca-certificates
instead of it's own directory, but the software is proprietary so I can't.
Replacing /usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts with a symlink to /usr/share/ca-
certificates/mozilla probably works in most cases, and could be done without
access to the source, but I couldn't distribute the .deb even if I made such a
change.

HTH, If that's not detailed enough, I can do a step-by-step with exact
commands and expected output on my blog tomorrow evening and post a link.