Re: Unable to print from Windows Vista Laptop via Samba

James, i usually use ipp (internet printing protocol) to print on cups from windows , skipping samba alltogether.

Just map the printer over http://printerhost:631/printers/PrinterName .

Bear in mind that you can create a raw print spool , o have the real driver of the printer.
In the first case you install the driver printer on your pc an then install the printer over http.

Remember to share the printer on cups.

Regards.

Pablo

Hi,
I have a debian server running samba connected to a local USB printer. I also have a dual boot laptop with windows Vista on it.
I can print fine from the server and the linux side of the laptop using CUPS, and even though I can see my home directory via samba in Vista, I can't get it to detect any printers. Vista is on the same Workgroup, I've lowered the firewall, but still windows won't detect it.

An Nmap from the laptop shows ports 22,25,80,111,139,445,631 and 2049(all tcp) open.

My Samba config is at the bottom, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

[global]
    workgroup = ETHICSGRADIENT
    server string = %h server
    interfaces = lo, eth0
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    printcap name = cups