Re: Unable to print from Windows Vista Laptop via Samba

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:36:36 +0000, James Allsopp wrote:

> I have a debian server running samba connected to a local USB printer. I
> also have a dual boot laptop with windows Vista on it. I can print fine
> from the server and the linux side of the laptop using CUPS, and even
> though I can see my home directory via samba in Vista, I can't get it to
> detect any printers. Vista is on the same Workgroup, I've lowered the
> firewall, but still windows won't detect it.

So, from the Vista client you can get/see the shared folders available on
Debian server but you can't see any printer facility to connect to?

> An Nmap from the laptop shows ports 22,25,80,111,139,445,631 and
> 2049(all tcp) open.
>
> My Samba config is at the bottom, any advice would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks,
> Jim
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = ETHICSGRADIENT
>     server string = %h server
>     interfaces = lo, eth0
>     obey pam restrictions = Yes
>     pam password change = Yes
>     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>     passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>     unix password sync = Yes
>     syslog = 0
>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>     printcap name = cups
>     dns proxy = No
>     wins support = Yes
>     panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

Hum... maybe not relevant but I miss one value here, in the [global]
section:

printing = cups

You can check what are the default values in use (if not explicitly
defined) using "testparm -v > dump.txt"

Greetings,

--
Camaleón