Re: Running Firefox instead of Iceweasel package?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 06:03:06PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:33:18 -0800, Erin Brinkley wrote:
>
> > I use the 'iceweasel' package for my main browser. But I was thinking
> > about how Firefox itself (at mozilla.com) is much newer. I read a blog
> > comment that someone started running the newest binary directly from
> > Firefox instead of the iceweasel package. Is this even possible?? If so
> > I'd like to try it, but don't want to break anything. Is it as easy as
> > just downloading the Linux package from mozilla.com and installing it in
> > /usr/local??
>
> If you are running a 32-bits kernel, yes. Go Firefox, download the
> package, uncompress it anywhere (I've got it in my user's home Desktop)
> and just "launch" the app.
>
> This method does not require you to install the package so you can still
> keep your Iceweasel installation in parallel.

I do this, regardless of how unnecessary it is suppose to be.

If the versions vary to widely, addons can be problematic. Firefox and
iceweasel will install them to the same directory,
~/.mozilla/firefox/nnnnnnnn.default .

I have had to uproot more than one addon manually.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody