Re: New policies?

Am 14. Feb, 2011 schwätzte Hans-J. Ullrich so:

moin moin Hans,

First of all thanks for the fast reply. Of course I know, this is a user list,
but I think, there are also a lot of developers here.

Well, what I wanted to express is this (and please apologize my direct words):

Debian policy breaks the sense of "stable", because of its own policy it is
forbidden to correct broken (and/or obsolete) protocols, applications whatever
with running versions until the next release. And THAT is IMO the wrong way.

So my suggestion is, to think things over (as the world since the foundation
of debian), and allow exceptions (not only at security issues).

Does backports provide the updates you want to see?

http://backports.debian.org/

Besides: I like the idea of Erin, merging (and not overwrite) of configuration
files is IMO the better way.

Automagic merging is difficult. Trying to guess what I meant with my local
config changes would likely drive someone mad :). Well, unless they read
my documentation and changelogs. You do document local config changes,
don't you? :)

ciao,

der.hans
#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,
#  keine Ahnung und keinen (.)plan. -- die Toten Hosen