Re: New policies?

Am 14. Feb, 2011 schwätzte Erin Brinkley so:

moin moin Erin,

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

I will be pleased if my suggestion is worth to start a discussion of it.

Great suggestion! Couldn't have said it better myself! Not even close!

One thing I would like to add is that when Debian has a major upgrade, it
should ALWAYS keep your config files. I know that it asks whether you want
to install the new maintainer version or keep your old, but this is always
a headache. I think the best answer is to merge the new features/options
with the current existing user's version. Because whenever I choose to go
with the new, I might get new options but all my customizations are gone
and I have to go find the old config and figure it all out from scratch.
If I just keep the old, then I loose all the new options and this
sometimes breaks things too. It's probably the #1 user problem when
upgrading.

Try etckeeper. That will put your configuration files into revision
control. Old versions are then available via the repository.

I used to keep my configuration files in revision control by hand. When
prompted about a new version I would go to another shell and merge the two
files.

Now etckeeper makes this much easier. Not sure why it defaults to bzr when
I install git-core, but that's now the only configuration change I make
that doesn't go into revision control :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  "Batman Sues Batsignal: Demands Trademark Royalties." -- Cory Doctorow