Re: 3ware 9650SE-8LPML degrading every day

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:33:18 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 07:35:27 +0100, Michael Kress wrote:
>> > Hi, my 3ware 9650SE-8LPML is degrading exactly ONE drive every day at
>> > exactly 2:08:49 AM in the morning (at exactly THAT second even)
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> I also get, from time to time, a degraded array (raid 5), and always
>> with the same disk. And no, the hard disk is OK as rebuilding the array
>> is always possible. In my case the degraded status "always" comes when
>> booting and never on the live system.
>
> Are you guys using disks with sanely bounded retry times (i.e. "RAID"
> optimized disks)?

In my case (I'm not the OP) most possibly no, as these servers came with
already pre-mounted SATA hard disks so there can be "anything" inside
(gremlims included...).

Now seriously, these hard disks are "plain" Seagate SATA although Seagate
tagged them as "enterprise class" product (their Barracuda "-NS" family).

> Check the TLER/CCTL/ERC (aka "SCT Error Recovery Control") maximum read
> and write completion delay.  smartctl can do it, look for "SCT Error
> Recovery" in the manpage.

AFAIK, smartctl is not available for those controllers behind the
"aacraid" module, which is my case :-(

> If the RAID decides to time out a drive because it is retrying like hell
> to do something instead of answering the command with an error, it will
> be kicked off the RAID array entirely.
>
> You can either fix it in the disc (sometimes), or you can tell the RAID
> controller to wait more for the disks.  Linux can be configured to do
> so, but I forget the sysfs knob to do it.  Good luck with the hardware
> RAID controllers, ask the manufacturer, I guess.

Sadly, I can only "control" the raid controller within the BIOS (this is
an old Adaptec model, from year 2005, with a very set of limited options
to tweak... IIRC I was adviced in this mailing list that newer models of
this brand can be managed using Adaptec's ASM utility).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón