Re: ssd / smart question

Regarding your post.  I have 2 OCZ SSD drives that were getting SMART
errors with Linux.  These are newer drives with Sandforce controller.
These drives got SMART errors right out of the box with Linux.  My 2
older OCZ SSD drives with Indilix controllers do not get SMART errors.

I checked the firmware version of my drives and it was 1.1.  OCZ had a
newer version 1.28 firmware update, so I gave it a shot.  After I
updated the firmware, no more SMART errors.  The firmware update did
the trick.

There is only one problem.  The firmware update does not have a Linux
installer.  You need to install Windows 7 or Vista on a separate boot
drive, then boot from it to use the firmware tool.  I did a temporary
Windows 7 install to use the firmware tool.  It was jind of a pain,
but it's the only way I could do it.