Re: 3ware 9650SE-8LPML degrading every day

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 07:35:27 +0100, Michael Kress wrote:
> > Hi, my 3ware 9650SE-8LPML is degrading exactly ONE drive every day at
> > exactly 2:08:49 AM in the morning (at exactly THAT second even)
>
> (...)
>
> I also get, from time to time, a degraded array (raid 5), and always with
> the same disk. And no, the hard disk is OK as rebuilding the array is
> always possible. In my case the degraded status "always" comes when
> booting and never on the live system.

Are you guys using disks with sanely bounded retry times (i.e. "RAID"
optimized disks)?

Check the TLER/CCTL/ERC (aka "SCT Error Recovery Control") maximum read and
write completion delay.  smartctl can do it, look for "SCT Error Recovery"
in the manpage.

If the RAID decides to time out a drive because it is retrying like hell to
do something instead of answering the command with an error, it will be
kicked off the RAID array entirely.

You can either fix it in the disc (sometimes), or you can tell the RAID
controller to wait more for the disks.  Linux can be configured to do so,
but I forget the sysfs knob to do it.  Good luck with the hardware RAID
controllers, ask the manufacturer, I guess.

> Look if there is any BIOS update/firmware revision or a new driver
> available for the controller or even for the BIOS of the motherboard. I
> would also ask the manufacturer.

That's always a good idea.

  Henrique Holschuh