Re: 3ware 9650SE-8LPML degrading every day

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 07:35:27 +0100, Michael Kress wrote:

> Hi, my 3ware 9650SE-8LPML is degrading exactly ONE drive every day at
> exactly 2:08:49 AM in the morning (at exactly THAT second even)

(...)

I also get, from time to time, a degraded array (raid 5), and always with
the same disk. And no, the hard disk is OK as rebuilding the array is
always possible. In my case the degraded status "always" comes when
booting and never on the live system.

> The drive in port 0 degrades, rebuilds and after a few hours everything
> is on OK.
> Does anybody have an idea what's going on here? I've just replaced that
> drive recently, because it was reported faulty. Might the cable on port
> 0 be bad?

I call this "false positives" but I'm a bit tired of this behaviour (I
thought hardware raid controllers are more stable :-/)

> I've checked the cron jobs at that time, there is no special procedures
> running.
>
> Otherwise, the system was running stable over years now. Using lenny on
> kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64

Look if there is any BIOS update/firmware revision or a new driver
available for the controller or even for the BIOS of the motherboard. I
would also ask the manufacturer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón