Re: lvm: error whilst loading shared libraries

On Monday 14 February 2011 09:56:55 Glyn Astill wrote:
> "lvm: error whilst loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open
> shared object file: no such file or directory"

Sounds like something got way too aggressive when removing packages.  Can you
get into the system environment another way?  E.g. boot from a live CD mount
up your filesystems and chroot.

That file should be provided by libgcc1, which a a Depend of libc6, which is a
Depend of lvm2.  Check the status of those packages to make sure they are
healthy.  If not, use aptitude, apt-get, or dpkg to repair them.  If so, I'd
try a reinstall of those 3 packages, anyway.

Once that is straightened out, backup and rebuild your initrd, then try to get
the system to boot under its own power again.

I'm using an LVM root volume on both a laptop and a desktop, so I know it
works, but both of them were upgraded to squeeze rather incrementally.  The
Lenny -> Squeeze jump for both of the VPSes was a bit more rocky.

> http://www.howtoforge.com/upgrade-debian-lenny-to-squeeze-in-a-few-simple-s
> teps

I think the release notes were much more informative and the actual upgrade
procedures documented there are not much longer than the article.

The article starts with lenny-volatile enabled, but doesn't end with squeeze-
updates enabled, which seems a bit wrong, too.