Need scancode for mouse buttons

I have a nice new mouse with two extra multimedia buttons. When I try
to get the scancodes with "xev", "xbindkeys -k", "showkey", or
"showkey -s" then I see no output. There are some other functional
keys on this mouse which also show no output with those tools, such as
the side scroll feature, so I suspect that there must be _some_ way to
get the codes.

Other than Xev, Xbindkeys, and Showkey, what tools can I use? I
specifically bought this mouse because of the location of the two
extra keys, as I have a manual disability and cannot use the special
keys of regular mice.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen