Re: which version for intel chipset 64bit

Hello,

Camaleón a écrit :
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:32:09 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> The problem is in knowing whether a particular CPU is compatible with
>> the 64 bit version of the operating system, or whether it requires the
>> 32 bit version.

There are no single 32 and 64-bit versions. Debian has different ports
for different architectures which are either 32 or 64-bit. You (as many
people) are confusing "32-bit" with x86-32 (i386 port) and "64-bit" with
x86-64 (amd64 port). But there are 32 and 64-bit non-x86 architectures
out there, and Debian supports some of them too.

>> If my memory is correct, for a computer to include 8GB of RAM, that is
>> addressable by the CPU, the CPU would necessarily be a 64 bit CPU, to be
>> able to address that much RAM.

No, this is wrong.

> Yes, but there is also 32-bits PAE kernel that will allow you to use up
> to 64 GiB of ram in your 64-bits CPU.

PAE is a 32-bit feature. Most 32-bit-only x86 processors starting from
Pentium Pro (including Pentium II/III/4 and Athlon) support PAE.

> You can choose what to use: 32-bits or 64-bits OS.

An amd64 OS won't work on an x86-32 CPU with PAE support.