Re: which version for intel chipset 64bit

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:58:56 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> But, apparently, not all 64 bit CPU's are compatible with the 64 bit
>>> version of Debian Linux, as (from what I understand) the 64 bit
>>> version of Debian Linux is only compatible with a small subset of the
>>> 64 bit CPU's.
>>
>> I cannot follow you here. Debian's 64-bits kernel is compatible with
>> every CPU that is 64-bits capable. Can you please explain your point a
>> bit?
>>

> The web page at http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/ states

(...)

> Thus, from the Debian official documentation, it is made clear that
> Intel 64 bit CPU's that do not have the "EM64T extension" (whatever that
> is and does), have no 64 bit version of Debian Linux available for them.

What?!?!

That's just a mix of "techno-marketing" parlance, sir. EMT64T is an Intel
way to say "hey, this CPU is 64-bits capable".

> Therefore, it is not simply an issue of whether a CPU is a 64 bit CPU
> and is therefore compatible with Debian 64 bit Linux;

(...)

Hum... basically, yes, it is simple that your CPU is 64-bits capable.

I would suggest you to read more on this matter :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón