Re: which version for intel chipset 64bit

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:32:09 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Camaleón wrote:

>> For someone who is going to install an OS, that's something that should
>> be found by the user itself. More than a mere "technical" decision
>> (both architectures -i386 and amd64- will work under 64-bits machines),
>> choosing between the two is something that is completely up to the
>> user's preferences as there are many other aspects to consider beyond
>> going A or B.
>>
>> If in doubt, better ask here or in forums.
>>

> The problem is in knowing whether a particular CPU is compatible with
> the 64 bit version of the operating system, or whether it requires the
> 32 bit version.

Not a problem at all, at least if you know where to find the information.
And most of the people do know :-). For those who don't, they can ask
here.

> For example, the Pentium 4, from memory, is a 64 bit CPU, but is
> incompatible with the 64 bit version of Debian Linux, and requires to
> run the 32 bit version; the i386 version, that is incompatible with
> i386's.

It does not work that way.

First, you have to know the exact processor model and number (you can
fecth it by running 'grep -i "model name" /proc/cpuinfo').

Then, you can go to the manufacture's page and perform a search for that
specific model:

Intel:
http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx

AMD:
http://products.amd.com/pages/

After that, the specs page for your concrete model will tell you if the
processor is 64-bits capable or not. That's the only way to ensure about
the possibility of running a 64-bits within your hardware.

> I can ask a question - does the I3, I5 and I7 range of CPU's require to
> run the 32 bit version of Debian Linux, or, can they run the 64 bit
> version, and, the question might (or, might not) get answered on the
> list, and then, a couple of weeks, or, a few weeks, later, along comes
> someone else, who asks the same question, and, so-on, ad nauseum, with
> the question getting repeatedly asked, because the information is not
> included in the documentation.

Yes, I know what you mean, but the "up-to-date" source of information in
this case is the manufacturer's site. Debian wiki cannot automatically
"sync" with each processor's manufacturer site to fetch the latest
available information on the latest processors (unless Debian reaches an
agreement with every manufacturer to do it so) so going to Intel or AMD
page is the most accurate way to go and that is what should be adviced on
Debia'ns wiki or Releases Notes.

> Inclusion of such information in the documentation, means that people
> who want to know the information, do not need to ask it on mailing
> lists, and, therefore, can reduce the derision on the mailing list.

I already explained why it should be possible but it would require the
collaboration of every processor's manufacturers... unless their
databases are completely open and Debian can query to them directly,
which could be another option to explore.

> If my memory is correct, for a computer to include 8GB of RAM, that is
> addressable by the CPU, the CPU would necessarily be a 64 bit CPU, to be
> able to address that much RAM.

Yes, but there is also 32-bits PAE kernel that will allow you to use up
to 64 GiB of ram in your 64-bits CPU. You can choose what to use: 32-bits
or 64-bits OS.

> But, apparently, not all 64 bit CPU's are compatible with the 64 bit
> version of Debian Linux, as (from what I understand) the 64 bit version
> of Debian Linux is only compatible with a small subset of the 64 bit
> CPU's.

I cannot follow you here. Debian's 64-bits kernel is compatible with
every CPU that is 64-bits capable. Can you please explain your point a
bit?

> If it is too much trouble to include in the Realease Notes, a list of
> CPU's and whether they are compatible with each of the 32 bit and 64 bit
> versions of Debian Linux, then, could it not be done to include a list
> of CPU's, for which, the 64 bit version of Debian Linux is compatible,
> and thence to state that all CPU's not included in that list, should be
> taken to be incompatible with 64 bit Debian Linux?
>
> That, at least, would be of some help for people who want to install the
> correct operating system, and, not simply regard the operating system as
> one that does not work, because they belive that it should work with
> their computer, and it does not?

This is not a Debian issue but a microprocessor/hardware issue. And I
still think the list of the 64-bits compatible processors is up to each
manufacturer and not the business of every Linux distribution.

I agree that a "brief" note explaining each kernel possibilities would be
desiderable.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón