Re: weired problem around grub2

Hello,

Camaleón wrote:
> Then you can also think in making room for a small "/boot" partition O:-)

Yes, doing so is not the problem.

I only don't understand the benefit of doing so.
I quite a deterministic person - so if you can tell me a good reason, I will
follow your plans.

> Sorry, it's an acronym for SuperGrubDisk. Did you try to directly boot
> your first partition from there? I don't remember if you tried to install
> GRUB2 from there or also tested a direct booting.

Hm - I tried to boot and I tried to install.
I did not see any difference to using the netinst-CD of debian, which offers a
rescue mode.
Afaik ubuntu offers the option too, boot from harddisk.

The point is, whatever I tried, no CD was able to boot my partition. Selecting
"boot from harddisk" freezes the system. No grub menu at all.

I'd like to understand, what's going on.

Its really crazy - when I update grub installation from partition one (which
comes up as sdd1) the generated device map has that drive as hd0.
When I boot into partition 2, device map shows the boot drive as hd3 but the
root-partition is sda2

I'm quite confused =8-|

kind regards

Gero