Re: weired problem around grub2

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:17:27 +0100, Geronimo wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> You can try to "chainload" the failed GRUB (boot from the GRUB that
>> works and then call the GRUB that fails). Yes, I know you are planning
>> to remove the new partition to make room for windows, but this is just
>> for testing purposes :-)
>
> Bah - don't worry about my windows plans at all ;) They don't have any
> relevance.
> I'll need windows in may be two months or so - no hurry at all.

Then you can also think in making room for a small "/boot" partition O:-)

>> And you can't "boot" neither from SGD?
>
> Who drunk you coke? ;)
> - Sorry, what's SGD? I'm not habitated to acronyms at all.

Sorry, it's an acronym for SuperGrubDisk. Did you try to directly boot
your first partition from there? I don't remember if you tried to install
GRUB2 from there or also tested a direct booting.

> No matter how I do it - when I install grub from an active partition 2,
> than grub shows a menue at reboot and I can boot into both partitions
> (depending on my selection)
> When I install grub from partition 1, grub will not show a menue at
> reboot.

It's hard to tell what GRUB2 does not like on your cloned partition :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón