Re: weired problem around grub2

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 06:27:02 +0100, Geronimo wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 07:53:56 +0100, Geronimo wrote:

(...)

>> "Installing GRUB" and "booting from GRUB" are two separate things :-)
>
> For sure!
>
> But as I don't know, which of it causes the trouble, I told you the
> whole story.
>
> To me it appears, that grub-install changes a pointer in mbr and on
> reboot, grub looks like it does not find the target of that pointer. So
> it hangs in boot screen.
>
> But I can't state, whether grub-install puts a wrong pointer into mbr or
> whether the drive order changed on reboot and grub is not able to
> resolve the target of that pointer. One of the three causes troubles.

The former would give you no GRUB menu at all, the latter will present
the GRUB menu and then fail with some kind of error.

> So if you have any hints/testcases - I'm willing to test, but I don't by
> myself what to do to locate the error.

You can try to "chainload" the failed GRUB (boot from the GRUB that works
and then call the GRUB that fails). Yes, I know you are planning to
remove the new partition to make room for windows, but this is just for
testing purposes :-)

>> Did you mark the old partition with the "bootable" flag?
>
> Yes.

And you can't "boot" neither from SGD?

> The major difference between the "old" and "new" partition: The old
> system uses separate drives for /usr and /var - the new one uses all in
> one partition.
> The minor difference:
> The old system is a complete GUI installation, the new one only basic
> system.

I don't think those differences can be relevant to this case :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón