Re: Unusable Squeeze: Can't switch off from X to consoles, neither between

2011/2/5 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 02:30:10 +0100, Pier Paolo wrote:

> Fresh installation of squeeze here, machine AMD Athlon II x2, board Asus
> M4A78LT-M LE with integrated Radeon 3000.
> The problem is:
>   1)  startx on openbox
>   -  Switching between consoles (CTRL+ALT+Fn) make appear a blank
>   screen, -  returning to X works (ALT+F7)
>   2)  exit from openbox
>   -  X closes, but the screen keep blank (black...), for every console
> (ALT+Fn doesn't work)!
> So what??? Please, a mediacenter/server is unusable without VTs...
> This problem arise with standard Xorg installation (xorg-video-ati) and
> radeon driver, and now with fglrx drivers

Does disabling KMS make any effect?

Sorry, a bit new to ATI/AMD stuff (i owned a beloved AthlonXP+Radeon-very-old and radeon drv): how to disable KMS?
I would also look at xorg's log ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log") for any clue.

Yep... I can attach the Xorg log as it is now: radeon drv and seems ok, but i feel it very poor on 3D (at less with xbmc, however throwed away); I will reinstall frglx and tell you, actually with radeon i can switch between consoles, and that's what i want

...finding my way on mythtv... so not too much time to reproduce this bug, tomorrow i'll be ok to post the xorg log;

Thanks very much.