Re: tool for internet connection test

On 4 February 2011 22:42, Lubos Rendek <lubos@linuxconfig.org> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I'm on ADSL2. I had constant speed for years and it was always around
> 6 - 8 Mbps. Suddenly it dropped to 0.3 - 4 Mbps but on average I have
> 0.9. As you also mentioned I too believe that the weather is to be
> blamed.
>
> My Telstra land line had such a nose that I could not make a phone
> call. Telstra technician came and said that there is nothing wrong
> with it and they charged me $105 incorrect call out fees :-) TPG ( my
> current internet provider ) confirmed weak signal but when the
> technician came he allegedly did not find any problem. Of course he
> did not find anything wrong he was on my premises for 10 minutes and
> at that time everything was fine.

You can use these maps to cross check what sync speed you should be
getting compated to other people in your area.
http://www.tpg.com.au/maps/

I had a _very_ similar case to you elevated to Level 2 support twice.
they said that they were clueless as to what was causing the problem
until I said I would go elsewhere.

In my case I'm on the Business Unlimited plan at work. It is speed
limited to 1M/1M between 7pm and 7am and unlimited in speed (dependant
on line sync) and download quantity the rest of the time. I had a
Billion 7404VNOX that I think was causing some problems. I swaped that
out to a Netgear DGN2000 for the purposes of testing.

Im my case I was downloading faster during the speed limited times
than during the day. Downloading Tpg's speed test iso
(http://www.tpg.com.au/test3.iso) Also on the weekend I could download
at the maximum rate.

Best of luck in dealing with TPG's support, I had to hold their hand
through the process, they kept on expecting me to 'reboot the router -
hey look it's fixed' when it failed. I humbly suggested that was
unreasonable.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.