Re: Upgrade stable -> testing -- with errors

On 2011-02-02 19:21 +0100, Brad Alexander wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2011-02-02 18:42 +0100, Brad Alexander wrote:
>>
>>> I may have just shot myself in the foot, but I decided to go ahead and
>>> upgrade my wife's machine. It was running stable (lenny atm) and I
>>> wanted to get it to testing. Its running trinity as well.
>>>
>>> So I updated the apt-conf to
>>>
>>> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>>>
>>> (My base sources.list includes links for all three releases), updated
>>> the trinity list from the lenny one to the squeeze one (the ppa
>>> format), and I ran aptitude update; aptitude full-upgrade.
>>>
>>> Things went well for about 30 minutes, then crashed. Now I am getting
>>>
>>> [root@galaxy archives]# dpkg --configure -a
>>
>> This might not work, "apt-get -f install" would be a better try to fix
>> things up.
>
> Nope, it jumps straight to the missing symbol:
>
> [root@galaxy archives]# apt-get -f install
> apt-get: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined
> symbol: _ZNSt8messagesIcE2idE, version GLIBCXX_3.4

Stupid me, I forgot apt-get is itself linked against libstdc++6.

>> Which version of libstdc++6 is installed on your system?
>
> 4.6-20110125-1, which I installed by hand when I saw the nature of the
> problem, however, it didn't change...

Well, this might actually be your problem, try downgrading to 4.4.5-8
from Squeeze.  Apparently the experimental libstdc++6 version does not
work with Lenny's glibc¹.

>> Try "apt-get -f install".  If that does not work, manually unpack the
>> libstdc++6 package from squeeze.
>
> I did that. Do I need to upgrade the dev package too?

First you need to get apt and other important stuff that's linked
against libstdc++6 working, then we'll see further.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=584572