Re: Upgrade stable -> testing -- with errors

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2011-02-02 18:42 +0100, Brad Alexander wrote:
>
>> I may have just shot myself in the foot, but I decided to go ahead and
>> upgrade my wife's machine. It was running stable (lenny atm) and I
>> wanted to get it to testing. Its running trinity as well.
>>
>> So I updated the apt-conf to
>>
>> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>>
>> (My base sources.list includes links for all three releases), updated
>> the trinity list from the lenny one to the squeeze one (the ppa
>> format), and I ran aptitude update; aptitude full-upgrade.
>>
>> Things went well for about 30 minutes, then crashed. Now I am getting
>>
>> [root@galaxy archives]# dpkg --configure -a
>
> This might not work, "apt-get -f install" would be a better try to fix
> things up.

Nope, it jumps straight to the missing symbol:

[root@galaxy archives]# apt-get -f install
apt-get: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined
symbol: _ZNSt8messagesIcE2idE, version GLIBCXX_3.4

>> Setting up menu (2.1.41) ...
>> update-menus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined
>> symbol: _ZNSt8messagesIcE2idE, version GLIBCXX_3.4
>
> Which version of libstdc++6 is installed on your system?

4.6-20110125-1, which I installed by hand when I saw the nature of the
problem, however, it didn't change...

>> dpkg: error processing menu (--configure):
>>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>> Setting up python2.6 (2.6.6-8+b1) ...
>> update-menus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined
>> symbol: _ZNSt8messagesIcE2idE, version GLIBCXX_3.4
>> dpkg: error processing python2.6 (--configure):
>>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpython2.6:
>>  libpython2.6 depends on python2.6 (= 2.6.6-8+b1); however:
>>   Package python2.6 is not configured yet.
>> dpkg: error processing libpython2.6 (--configure):
>>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  menu
>>  python2.6
>>  libpython2.6
>>
>> and I can't get past the undefined symbol. Can anyone suggest what I
>> need to get this done?
>
> Try "apt-get -f install".  If that does not work, manually unpack the
> libstdc++6 package from squeeze.

I did that. Do I need to upgrade the dev package too?

>> Especially since I didn't warn my wife what I was doing?
>
> If everything else fails, you may have to consult a marriage
> counselor. ;-)

Nah...We have been married 24 years (and 1 week). I have learned to
hide with pride.

Thanks,
--b