Re: help

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 03:08:35 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 11:59:28AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Hum... if I interpreted correctly your words, you think "sudo" is
>> intended for non-expert users and I don't think so, but the opposite:
>> "sudo" (as I see) is for people who know what involves and what it
>> means and not many newbies know very well how permissions are managed
>> in their systems and don't care much on security considerations.
>>
>> In brief: if you know what "sudo" is for, you should not have any
>> problem to configure it ;-)
>
> If you know what is for then you'd know to put sudo before any command
> that you should execute as root.

That sounds pretty obvious.

> But Ubuntu configures it automatically AIUI and there is the occassional
> Ubuntu user asking questions on *this* list where the advice "sudo
> <whatever>" will work but may not be the correct advice for an Ubuntu
> system.

That shouldn't be a problem at all. In such case we only have to instruct
the user about the right command, not very complicated.

> But for a new Debian user (either an ex Windows or ex Ubuntu user), the
> advice "sudo <whatever>" won't work[1] and just may confuse the poor
> bugger.

Confussion is not bad, it provides "an extra" of experience. A little of
patience and all can be done flawlessly, I still don't see any problem
with that. Every distribution has its own defaults but the same base
remains. "Sudo" works on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE... <put here
the name of the distro you want>. It's not a default setting in Debian,
right, but it is an option. KDE is not a "default" neither but should be
avoid replying here all KDE-related topics? ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón