Re: help

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:28:28PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:00:38 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 02:40:01PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >> If you do an expert install you are offered the choice to disable root
> >> logins and use sudo instead. Yes, this is on Debian, squeeze installer.
> >
> > Oh!  ok. Then again, "expert" does imply that you know what you are
> > doing, which seems a bit backwards.
>
> Since when "knowing what you are doing" is considered as "backwards"? :-)

I mean it "seems a bit backwards" in the sense that an expert probably
wouldn't be asking questions where the answer is a simple "sudo
<whatever>", whereas someone who is not an "expert" wouldn't have sudo
configured cause they wouldn't choose "expert install" and therefore
giving them the answer "sudo <whatever>" wouldn't be usefull.

> > Maybe it is meant for installing to many machines - i.e. a lab or
> > classroom?
>
> No, expert install is a "must" for me for every installalation I have to
                                            ^^^^^
Which seems to mean you do a few?

> do. BTW, it's not just "for experts", but for users who want a customized
> installation, I'd say.

Mmmm, true, I think there are options where you can fine tune the
partitioning etc. But calling it "expert install" may put newbies off
choosing it.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte