Re: Realtek 8185 chipset problem

On 01/28/2011 02:43 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
On 01/28/2011 02:33 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
On 01/28/2011 04:03 PM, Paul Scott wrote:

I have the feeling that something is broken at a lower level.

I will try adding the ESSID to wireless-settings.conf

What does
lsmod |grep 8185 return??

Nothing.

lsmod |grep 8180 shows modules rtl8180, mac80211, eeprom_93cx6, and
cfg80211 loaded.

OK, the module is not loaded.

Now do
modprobe rtl8185   and repeat the lsmod check.

If lsmod still shows nothing it means the module isn't loading,no matter what ndiswrapper said. You may have to go to the realtek site to get the linux drivers and compile them yourself. This may not be the end of your troubles. I don't know, but doubt, there are any firmware modules for the 8185 included in the firmware-realtek package as there is no driver in the current kernel. Check the realtek site for firmware while you are there.

I started with instructions to install the correct driver with ndiswrapper

I had the impression that the rtl8180 driver would work.

I'll try the ndiswrapper install of the driver again.

ndiswrapper says net8185 is already installed.

http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x suggests that rtl8180 is the module for rtl8185

Paul