Re: Realtek 8185 chipset problem

On 01/28/2011 11:57 AM, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 28. 01. 2011 19:46:46 je Paul Scott napisal(a):
Hi,

I have a Trendnet TEW-421PC which has a Realtek 8185 chipset. Installing the driver with ndiswrapper seemed to work fine.

ifup wlan0 fails to get a connection.

syslog just echoes the failure to get a working lease.

TIA for any ideas,

Paul Scott

The way wireless is configured in Debian, ifup won't get you anywhere by itself -- unless you edit your /etc/network/interfaces accordingly. You have to tinker with iwlist, iwconfig (and ESSID) to make it work. It's perhaps wiser to use a desktop environment and network-manager which should manage connections automatically (well, at least it should display the available wireless networks for you, so you can at least see that your wireless card is working).

I have iface wlan0 net dhcp in /etc/network/interfaces

I also have wicd installed and it doesn't see any wireless networks. wicd.log log says:
Unable to autoconnect

Thanks,

Paul

--