Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:58:02 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:00:36 -0500
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:51:15 +0000 (UTC)
> > Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > In this scenario, the "LAN" and the "WAN" are at the same "hostile"
> > > level and so both should be treated. Why should you accept
> > > incomming ssh traffic from the "hostile lan/wan"? I shouldn't...
> > > unless:
> >
> > Exactly my point - that personal firewall 'profiles' are less useful
> > than they might appear at first blush, since you pretty much need to
> > treat all traffic, even 'local' traffic, as dangerous when behind a
> > NAT router.
> >

> A laptop will not normally be offering services, so a very basic

My laptop offers lots of services:

~# nmap localhost

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-01-25 18:49 EST
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.000022s latency).
Hostname localhost resolves to 2 IPs. Only scanned 127.0.0.1
rDNS record for 127.0.0.1: localhost.localdomain
Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
53/tcp   open  domain
631/tcp  open  ipp
3128/tcp open  squid-http
9999/tcp open  abyss

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.33 seconds

[ssh, Exim, dnsmasq, CUPS, privoxy, approx]

although it can be argued that most of these are intended for use by
localhost only, so we can / should block all remote access to them.

> iptables setup should be adequate everywhere. I have a second profile
> which allows only DHCP, DNS and VPN packets out to the LAN, and once a
> VPN is established, DNS goes over it anyway and the default gateway
> switches to the VPN server.
>
> This is pretty much equivalent to the Windows 'send all traffic via the
> remote server' option, and I use it both on foreign LANs and on mobile
> Internet if I need to do anything sensitive. If I just want email
> access, ssh into my server is enough, using the standard profile.
>
> All the public wi-fi systems I've tried seem to block most protocols, so
> neither ssh nor VPN is possible, and I've given up trying them. Maybe
> I'm paranoid, but every time I read about some obscure, devious attack
> technique that I would never have believed possible, or exploitable
> software bug, I get that little bit more paranoid...
>
> I use RADIUS/EAP-TLS at home, but I can see how that might not be
> practical in a pub or cafe.

Interesting, thanks.

Celejar