Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client

On Mi, 05 ian 11, 09:49:38, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On Ter, 04 Jan 2011, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >The wireless encrypts the traffic only between my laptop and my AP.
> >Beyond my AP the wireless encryptions does not bring any additional
> >security.
>
> That's true, but that's exactly the point: if the wireless network
> is not encrypted it is trivial to capture the plain-text traffic
> between user's computers and the AP: you just need another computer
> with a wireless adapter nearby.
>
> Sniffing traffic past the AP is harder: generally the connection is
> cabled, so you need physical access to the network, some technique
> to route packages to your machine (not difficult to do, but also
> means your action might be detected), etc.

By "physical access to the network" you mean the internet, right?
Because that's what's past my AP... AFAIK it's just a bit more difficult
to intercept the traffic, that's all.

As far as I'm concerned my home wireless is encrypted for two reasons:

1. I don't want to share my internet connections with my neighbors (for
various reasons)
2. I want to be able to run unsecured services, if needed, behind the
relative protection of the AP's firewall

Whenever I'm connected to an open AP I just consider my laptop connected
directly[1] to the internet, with all inherent risks.

[1] even though most APs have at least NAT

Regards,
Andrei