Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client

On Vi, 07 ian 11, 16:23:16, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On Sex, 07 Jan 2011, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >If you consider an open wireless to be more dangerous, what additional
> >protective measures do you suggest?
>
> Enable encryption of the wireless traffic (but not WEP, which is too weak).

I might not have control over that (hotel or pub wireless).

> SSL is always nice, but there isn't much you can do if the remote
> site does not use it.
>
> A VPN (or a ssh tunnel) will provide more security, but you'll need
> a remote host.

No, I'm not going to set up a VPN just to browse public sites from a
public wireless. Of course, I would not access sensitive stuff unless
properly protected (SSH, SSL, ...), but this is not different than what
I'm doing anyway when using my home connection (wired or not).

What *other* protection do you think is necessary, something that you
would not do anyway if the same computer was connected *directly* to the
internet (no NAT and/or external firewall)?

Regards,
Andrei