Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 17:19:07 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Maybe I should fill an online petition >:-P
> >
> > See http://www.picpaste.com/volume-control-k6X7Egse.png
>
> Yeepy! (thanx)
>
> > I enabled every option in "preferences".  This control clearly has
> > nothing to do with enabling the beep.
>
> Something interesting under "options" or "sound theme" tab?

Nothing seemed relevant.

The "options" tab has one check box,
"Independent HP", which by default is enabled.  I don't know
what that does.

The "sound theme" tab consists of five radio buttons:
"Default", "Bark", "Drip", "Glass", and "Sonar".
There is a check box to enable the selected effect (it is checked)

> >> (...)

> >> Okay, no... is just it has been renamed in squeeze to
> >> "gnome-volume- control".
> >
> > That (see posted png, above) does not appear to have anything to do
> > with controlling sound properties.  It is different from the help
> > page description mentioned a while back in this thread.
>
> Oh, and now I guess why: "pulse audio". A default gnome installation
> would expect to have PA installed and so that it appears documented
> in their docs (I suggest you _do not_ install PA unless you really
> know what you are doing).

Thanks.  I'll look into it, but cautiously.

--
Joe Riel