Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:48:29 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> (...)
> >>
> >> Hum... in fact, while I have a "PC speaker" entry in squeeze, I've
> >> just checked in lenny and there is none (but the beep works).
> >>
> >> Just a silly question... have you somehow disabled the sytem bell
> >> under your DE? In GNOME there is a checkbox you can toggle on/off.
> >
> > Where would that be?
> >
> > I just installed Debian 6 on a different computer, with vastly
> > different hardware, and it behaves the same way, that is no bell.
>
> It should be under "start / system / preferences / system sound,
> sounds effects tab > alert volume"
>
> 8.4.4.1. Sound Effects Preferences
> http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/2.30/goscustmulti-2.html.en#goscustmulti-TBL-6

I normally use fvwm, but brought up gnome to check this.
I cannot find a "sound preferences" menu.  The help page is useless;
it doesn't say where the "sound preferences" submenu is located.
It suggests it is under System -> Preferences, but the only relevant
entry I see there is "Sound", which has none of the options
discussed (just settings for alsa mixer).

--
Joe Riel