Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:56:35 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> You forgot the image :-P
>
> No image this time :-)
>
> >> The package is also available for lenny and squeeze, is part of the
> >> GNOME desktop, but you said you were not using a DE at all but
> >> "fvwm", and also said that the bell was working at tty so look
> >> into fvwm sound settings or try to load a LiveCD with a full GNOME
> >> and check if it working from there.
> >
> > While I normally run fvwm, I did the normal destop installation, so
> > should have the complete Gnome.  On my older machine, which just
> > got a fresh installation, I don't (yet) run fvwm.  On it, too, the
> > bell does not work.
> >
> > Using the debian package search
> > (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages) I see that there is *no*
> > listing for gnome-control-center in Debian *testing* (which is what
> > I have).  There is one in unstable and in stable.  That seems a
> > trifle strange.
>
> I've got that piece of sowftware installed in my squeeze so it should
> be available also for you :-)
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gnome-control-center

Errh, yes and no.  I do have gnome-control-center installed:

$ dpkg -s gnome-control-center
Package: gnome-control-center
Section: gnome
Installed-Size: 2024
Maintainer: Debian GNOME Maintainers
<pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org> Architecture: amd64
Source: control-center
Version: 1:2.30.1-2

however, that version of that package does *not* contain the desired
sound executable:

$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/gnome-control-center.list
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/README
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/TODO
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/copyright
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnome-control-center/changelog.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-keyboard-properties.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-control-center.1.gz
/usr/share/menu
/usr/share/menu/gnome-control-center
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/pixmaps/control-center2.xpm
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/gnome-at-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-appearance-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-default-applications-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-at-visual
/usr/bin/gnome-at-mobility
/usr/bin/gnome-display-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-keybinding-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-keyboard-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-mouse-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-network-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-window-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-about-me
/usr/bin/gnome-thumbnail-font
/usr/bin/gnome-font-viewer
/usr/bin/gnome-control-center
/usr/bin/gnome-typing-monitor

Presumably I'll have to get it from unstable.

--
Joe Riel