Re: Re (2): message threading in debian lists; was Re (6): OpenVPN server mode usage.

On Wednesday 19 January 2011 04:12:47 Bob Proulx wrote:
> peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > You have a complicated setup!
> >
> > A complex setup.  "complicated" is a verb.  ... Sorry.
>
> Uhm...  No.  Complicated is an adjective.
>
>  From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:
>
>    complicated
>        adj : difficult to analyze or understand; "a complicated problem";
>              "complicated Middle East politics"

I agree with Bob.

I have checked in several dictionaries.  The Shorter Oxford, 1944 would agree
with you.  I have checked in three others, more recently published, and they
all have complicated as an adjective.  Here is one:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/complicated

Moreover, even if it had not already, some time ago, entered the language as
an adjective, I would contend that it is perfectly legitimate to use a past
participle adjectivally.  Think of e.g. "a tried and tested method".

Lisi