Re: message threading in debian lists; was Re (6): OpenVPN server mode usage.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> A third case is when I am at work and the tunnel between dalton

You have a complicated setup!

> and joule is broken.  Then POP3 can bring messages from the ISP
> through the public Internet to cantor;  but the ISP will not accept
> a message from cantor via SMTP through the public Internet.  In
> this case messages must be sent through the Web interface of the ISP.
> Presumeably it's this Web software which inserts " (#)".  Now if a
> message is read on cantor I have difficulty.

That is not very nice of them.

It is good that your tunnel is back working again so that you can
avoid some of the problems.

> The message-id is visible on cantor but I do not know of any way to
> have the Web interface accept an In-reply-to parameter.  That's when
> a new thread begins.

It must be more than this because the Subject line is also modified.
Not having an In-Reply-To isn't changing the subject line.  (shrug)

> If the tunnel is broken I could simply refrain from retrieving mail to
> the MUA on cantor and read all mail with the Web based interface.

It wasn't the end of the world.  It was just annoying and so I noted it.

> Is threading of messages in Debian lists explained anywhere?  I've never
> seen an explanation.  A few years ago I found how to use Message-id
> and In-reply-to by exploration rather than straightforward reading.

Standard email headers apply.  RFC 2822 would cover them.  Though
perhaps the wikipedia page is more readable.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email#Message_header

Bob